Torrevieja Padrón & SIP Card Process

The Torrevieja Padrón & SIP Card process is not as daunting as some people are led to believe. For many, especially those that come over to Torrevieja or neighbouring Orihuela Costa during the summer months to work, think they can do so with just an NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero). This is required by anyone coming to Spain for more than just a holiday. It will allow you to ‘seek’ work, open a bank account and buy a vehicle for instance. The only ‘legal’ way to be employed with just an NIE certificate is when you are on a trial work period. This is a loophole that many employers use to hire extra staff without actually giving them a legal work contract.

Torrevieja Padrón

In order to qualify for Spanish social security benefits you will need a work contract of minimum 10 hours per week. This will allow you to legally work the hours stated in your contract. Some employees, especially youngsters just working for the summer don’t bother with social security benefits. They take the chance of being landed with hefty medical costs if an accident or serious medical issues occur. So, it is always advisable to get it right and get properly in the system.

A Padrón is an administrative registration where residents of the municipality are included. This provides proof of residence in the municipality and is a way to keep track of how many people are living in a certain area. You do not require a Padrón to obtain a work contract. However, it is required if you wish to apply for social security benefits such as a SIP card (Tarjeta Sanitaria). This will get you in the health system and allow you free medical care and treatment. You will also need a Documento Acreditativo Del Derecho A Asistencia Sanitaria Pública. This is issued by the Ministry of Employment and Social Security when your employer applies for your contract.

Applying For Padrón In Torrevieja

The Torrevieja Padrón & SIP Card process is relatively simple. It is always a good idea to have an interpreter when dealing with Spanish government departments. However, if you have all your relevant documents in order, it’s just a matter of signing the form they will give you. The Padrón office is located in the city centre on Calle Unión Musical Torrevejense. This is on the corner of Calle José Martínez Ruiz Azorín. The office is open Monday to Friday from 09:00 – 14:00. Tickets are available for the various departments from 08:30. When entering the doors go left into the waiting room and the ticket machine is on the right. It’s always advisable to arrive early.

Documents Needed For Padrón

These are the documents you will need when your ticket number is called. Passport, NIE, Proof of address such as an up to date rental contract, electricity and water utility bills, and your monthly rental payment receipt. If you are a home owner you will need to take along the deeds to your property and utility bills. If all is in order it’s just a matter of signing the form and receiving your Padrón certificate. Now you are ready to apply for your SIP card which is an even easier process.

Applying For SIP In Torrevieja

The Torrevieja Padrón & SIP Card process can be done on the same day. The Public Medical Centre is located on the corner of Calle Salinero and Calle Virgen del Mar. This is within walking distance from the Padrón office and open 24 hours. Bring along your passport, NIE, Padrón and the Documento Acreditativo Del Derecho A Asistencia Sanitaria Pública. This rather lengthy titled document is needed as proof that you have a legal work contract and the right to apply for a SIP.

When entering the hospital the administration counter on your left. Once your documents are checked your SIP card will be processed immediately and your card printed and issued. If you have an ailment or pressing medical issue you can ask for a doctor’s appointment straight away. For major medical treatment that requires a visit to the main Torrevieja Hospital you will need to see a doctor at the Public Medical Centre first. They will then refer you to Torrevieja Hospital.


The Euro is the official currency of Spain. In Spain you will see prices listed as 25 €. On a UK keyboard if you want to make the € sign you can either press hold the Alt Gr key + the number 4 key (Alt Gr + 4) or you can press and hold the Alt key + type numbers 0128 (Alt + 0128).